Many Dollars Later the Water is Fixed

Posted by Dave W. | Wednesday, January 14, 2009 | ,, 0 comments |

Finally, I was able to take a shower this morning as my water is now fixed. The problem: a broken well water pump. The house is 15 years old and it hasn't been replaced, so we were due. It was nice not having to pay a water bill for the last 8 years, but I made up for it in one shot: $2482 total to replace the pump! Couple this with my $161 speeding ticket, this pretty much wiped out my savings account.

On the positive side, I had the cash to foot the bill and did not have to worry about putting it on a credit card. This is where having an emergency fund comes very much in handy. Now it's back to the drawing board as far as savings goes. Fortunately, my quarterly bonus should come in about 2 weeks followed by (hopefully) my annual bonus. Last year, there was no annual bonus, so we'll see. In addition, I should have a pretty good refund as we still have a tax credit from adopting my son from Guatemala 2 years ago. All in all, it sucks, but I feel optimistic for the future!