Part of the Problem or Part of the Solution?

Posted by Dave W. | Sunday, December 28, 2008 | , 0 comments |

As a follow up to yesterday's post, here is a link to an article in the Idaho Business Review where the author, Michael Tomlin, proclaims:


I know I am contributing to the problem and not the solution, but I’ve quit spending. In defiance of Barney Frank’s (Dem. MA) telling us to start spending to jump start the economy and re-create jobs, I’m cutting my losses and closing my wallet. And I am actually enjoying it.


Tomlin has dumped his Netflix subscription, stopped eating out and done other things to not "support the economy".  He goes on to say in his post:

Outside our little world we see restaurants closing, clothing stores going out of business, auto dealerships folding, electronics stores filing for Chapter 11 protection, and we know it is our fault. If only we were spending and artificially propping up these unviable businesses with emotional spending as we used to all would be okay.

 

But we are done with that. They broke the rules. Not these local shops, but the business world at large. The rule was always that greed is okay so long as you make sure the business makes money too so it can stay in business. This group of greedy took their money and ran the businesses into the ground, effectually killing the golden goose. Fools.

 

I’ll be hard to lure back. Cheap gas won’t do it, nor spiffier cell phones. My bikes are good and will last for years. I am happy to reread many of the books we have collected and they are far better than most film fare anyway. Nope. I can see that I am now the problem but this time I’m taking care of me and mine.

 

If this recession can’t be beaten by living debt free and within a budget then I don’t care to participate. And a warning to all those who would give my tax money away – I am prepared to spend a lot less still.


The comments on Tomlin's post we're, at the very least, very polarizing.   It appears in Tomlin's case, he is withdrawing from the economy by choice, not be necessity.  That being said, do you think he is part of the problem, or part of the solution?