Saving with the Redbox

Posted by Dave W. | Friday, May 02, 2008 | ,, 0 comments |

My wife and I live in the outer edges of the suburbs where there is still farmland. At our grocery store we recently got something which was a pretty cool thing but is old news for many. Redbox.


For those who don’t know, Redbox is a dvd rental kiosk where you put in your credit or debit card and rent any of the new releases available for $1 per night, with no late fees. As someone who doesn’t rent a lot of movies, the price is right. I got rid of Showtime when they canceled Dead Like Me and The Chris Isaak Show. I dumped my Blockbuster Online membership when I kept a movie for 3 months without mailing it back (total cost: $53.97). The other nice thing about Redbox is that you can return your DVD to any Redbox location. So if I’m heading over to my mother-in-law’s house or to work, I don’t have to go out of my way and can drop it off at the local grocery store there.

Here’s a piece of useless trivia I stumbled upon: The first place redbox was installed in was several McDonald’s in the Denver area. Redbox is partially owned by McDonald’s and Coinstar; they each own 47% of the company and have surpassed Blockbuster in number of outlets.